British Airways and British Air


I’ve officially been in the UK for one whole week! It still feels a bit surreal that I’m here, that I’m going to be here for 6 months and not just 2 weeks, and that I feel so incredibly at peace. It's a bit surreal to be honest. 

The first surreal moment for me was on the plane, actually. The last time I flew across the Atlantic - back in October - I had one of the worst experiences of my life. Getting on the plane this time, there was still a certain amount of anxiety that built up inside me. I made sure to book British Airways, which has been very good at handling my allergies in the past. Even so, I was concerned since last time, I ended up on a British Airways flight that was run by American Airlines, where I was forced off the plane because they refused to not serve mixed nuts in my section of the cabin. I ended up stuck at London Heathrow, upset and exhausted, being basically told that my life was not as worthwhile as other passengers eating a small cup of mixed nuts. 

With the pain of that experience still fresh, I called British Airways ahead of time to make sure they hadn't changed their policies and they could accommodate. The representative did read out a policy about not serving peanuts, but that the crew would have jurisdiction over what is being served and whether or not they could guarantee the food would be safe. I was surprised and slightly worried that things had changed since my previous experiences with British Airways. I had asked him to put it on my record anyway, and prayed that they would be able and willing to accommodate. 

Thankfully they were incredible! The staff was so kind and considerate. They made sure to send someone over to talk through the situation with me. They brought out a binder with the dinner options and what allergens were present in each dish. They made an announcement on the PA to ask people not to eat or open any nuts they had brought with them. They checked with me about whether or not I would feel ok with them serving a dessert that contained nuts in other parts of the plane or not. They made sure I had my epipen down at my seat with me in case something happened. They were so incredibly open, thoughtful, and caring. I was really blown away and so thankful. I was reminded of how kind people can be, and what it feels like to meet people who truly see you as a valuable human being. I was reminded that not everyone feels that my health issues are a nuisance. I was reminded that even strangers can surprise you. 

It is a message that has shown itself as a theme in my life this season. Especially with all the drama of trying to figure out if I could come to work here at all, I have seen so many people go the extra mile to make sure that my health is not compromised. I have had many conversations that have shown me that people are willing to make changes and do things differently to accommodate, even if it requires sacrifice. I realized how much life had worn me down, and how jaded I had become about people being willing changing without question because I was worth it. Over time, I had grown to believe that I was inconveniencing others and my allergy needs were a burden on those around me. While those close to me have always made changes and been helpful, I've still always seen it as something they never would've wanted to do but that was kind of forced on them. 

I realize now that that view is cynical and jaded. Everyone I've met since getting on that plane has been so incredibly gracious and open about wanting to help keep me safe. Even at the office, while it's strange that they made a site-wide email about my allergies and what will be required, everyone I've met has only wanted to help and ask questions on how careful they should be. I have felt so loved, known, and cared for by people I've never met before who have invested in me despite the fact that I'm a visitor who will only be here for a short time - but just long enough to require them to change their habits. No one has seemed upset, frustrated, or tired by the fact that they have to change. I visited a church here in Leicester yesterday, and the speaker mentioned stewardship and how plane stewards are supposed to be caring even though many of our experiences have show them to be otherwise. It was a lovely reminder that stewardship isn't meant to be something we do whilst grumbling, but something rooted in grace and showing someone dignity. I feel so thankful and grateful for the amazing stewards and stewardesses that showed me care, kindness, and restored my dignity without even realizing how redeeming it was. That's beauty. :)

Comments

Popular Posts