Nesting





Nesting is the term used for expecting mothers who start fussing around preparing the house for the new baby. Now, don't worry, I am not expecting a baby or anything, but I've been feeling a similar sensation. I don't have a new baby per se, but I have a new life and experience and home, and I've spent the first two weeks making it feel like MY home.


Even though I'm only here for 6 months, the day that I got here, the reality set in that I am living outside of New York for the first time in my life, and I have no friends or family here. It was the first time I've stepped this far out of my comfort zone to risk stability and normalcy for something wholly new. As exciting as it is to be in a new place, it does get lonely not to have people to call on or a roommate to come home to or plans with friends to fill my time.

On day one, I found a pint of almond ice cream still in the freezer and had a moment of sheer panic that the place hadn't been properly cleaned before my arrival, and that I should never have come. But I took a breath and then committed to spend the first 3 days cleaning every surface, dish, pot, pan, nook and cranny in the house to make sure there was no risk that there was contamination from the previous resident. And as a declaration that this is a new and exciting time, and to help me feel settled and safe here, I have deemed this process my version of nesting. Thankfully, there are some really good "pound stores" and charity (thrift) shops around, so I haven't gone totally broke over it! Hehe.



It has honestly been a really beautiful and restful process for me. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea (pun intended), but I'm drinking a lot of tea so what's one more cup? I have been able to collect things to bring color and light and life into this home, and mixed with items I brought from from home to remind me of all the people I love, and it feels oh so sweet. I can't wait for people to come and visit (*hint hint*)! In case you can't, I've taken some photos of my work so far. I hope you can see and feel the joy and light that I have felt in it. Every day, it is a reminder of God's grace and purpose for my life in bringing me here, and to stay expectant for what He plans to do with me in this season. :)




And you can't forget that I have to have a functional yet cute kitchen, outfitted with lots of cute yet functional pieces. ;)







And you're probably getting tired of my photos now, but just a few more for funsies just to keep things funky and fresh! 


Can you tell how much I love the place now? It's got tons of reminders of my amazing friends and family from home, the things that spark joy in my heart, the ways England is inspiring me, and the rich life that I've been given - full of color and full of love. Change is hard for me, because stability often means safety, but cleaning and preparing my apartment has been an act of faith, that I believe this is where I'm meant to be. To my friends and family at home, I miss you dearly, and I think of you often! To the place I am calling home for the moment, I am ready to dig in and find my place here, and I am already so thankful for the places I've been, the people I've met, and the people I'll soon meet. 


Comments

Popular Posts